What Is User Gathering?
User gathering means pulling together a list of all target users that a Riva sync policy should synchronize.
How Often Are Users Gathered?
User gathering should be done frequently enough to ensure that the list is up to date, but not too frequently as to waste system resources.
- The first user gathering takes place when the sync policy is saved the first time.
- By default, a policy's users are gathered every time
- the sync service is started,
- the policy is modified, and
- one or both connections used in the policy are modified.
- If a mail distribution group was added to the list of targeted mailboxes on the policy's General page, the list of available users from each entry is gathered from the mail groups every 24 hours, from the last service start.
In Riva On-Premise 188.8.131.52631 or higher, in the Advanced User Gathering window, you can configure
- the timing of user gathering based on mail groups and
- the timing and other characteristics of user gathering based on the CRM.
Navigate to the Advanced User Gathering window
To open the Advanced User Gathering window:
Start the Riva Manager application. On the menu bar, select Policies. In the right pane, double-click the relevant policy.
In the Edit CRM Synchronization Policy window that appears, in the left column, select Advanced Options.
In the right pane, near the bottom right corner, select Advanced User Gathering.
You can now configure both forms of user gathering:
Gather Active Users from Mail Groups
Enable user gathering from mail groups
By default, this type of user gathering is enabled. Simply add a mail group to the synchronization policy.
This is actually done outside the Advanced User Gathering window.
To enable user gathering from mail groups:
In the Riva Manager application, on the menu bar, select Policies. In the right pane, double-click the relevant policy.
In the Edit CRM Synchronization Policy window that appears, on the General page, add Exchange Active Directory or IBM Domino server mail groups.
Configure user gathering from mail groups
Configuration takes place in the Advanced User Gathering window. How to navigate to that window.
- By default, the users are gathered from the mail groups every 24 hours.
- You can select a more frequent time interval or a specific time of day when user gathering is to take place.
- Even if mail groups have been added to the sync policy, you can disable user gathering from mail groups by setting the Interval to Disabled. This causes the synchronization to gather only once when the service is initially started.
- Note on metadata: No historic metadata of active users is stored or persisted between mail group refresh cycles.
Gather Active Users from the CRM
Enable user gathering from the CRM
By default, this type of user gathering is disabled.
To enable user gathering from the CRM:
Navigate to the Advanced User Gathering window.
In the Advanced User Gathering window, select the Gather Active Users from CRM check box.
(Salesforce only.) Filter the CRM users
If all Salesforce users are to be synced by Riva, filtering is not required. Skip to the next section: Configuring user gathering from the CRM.
If not all Salesforce users are to be synced by Riva, do as follows.
To filter the Salesforce users for user gathering:
In Salesforce, create a custom field that is used to indicate which users are to be synced by Riva.
In Riva, apply the following advanced options to the Salesforce connection:
Sync.Crm.IsRivaSyncUser.Field = [The name of the Salesforce custom field that specifies which users Riva is to sync.]
Sync.Crm.IsRivaSyncUser.Regex = [The regular expression to match in the custom field.]
Sync.Crm.IsRivaSyncUser.Field = IsRivaSyncUser__c
Sync.Crm.IsRivaSyncUser.Regex = true
During the user gathering, all Salesforce users whose IsRivaSyncUser__c field is set to true are gathered onto the list of targeted users that Riva will sync.
Configure user gathering from the CRM
The configuration takes place in the Advanced User Gathering window. How to navigate to that window.
- Mail Connection:
- Enter the Riva mailbox connection that the respective CRM users should be synchronized from.
- Select the frequency (time interval) or a specific time of day when user gathering is to take place.
- Persistent Schedule (Requires GSC). This check box can be selected only if the GSC has been enabled. Selecting this check box prevents user gathering from occurring whenever a connection or the policy is modified or the sync service starts, unless the user gathering has never occurred before. If the user gathering has occurred at least once, it now occurs only at the time stated in the entity.settings file.
- Note on metadata: All the user information resolved from the CRM is stored (persisted) in the Riva metadata.
- Some sync scenarios (for example, changing the filter criteria) require repolling the CRM for active users from the sync start time.
- To do so, select the Re-scan Users in CRM Data check box, and select Apply Re-init. There is no need to stop the sync. The user gathering takes place regardless of the Persistent Schedule (Requires GSC) setting, and the user-gathering time stated in the entity.settings file is ignored.
- If successful, the user gathering from the sync start time takes place only once. After that, the check box is cleared, and the button becomes unavailable. The entity.settings file is updated with the next user gathering time. Then, the user gathering follows the normal pattern: active users are gathered by polling the CRM for changes in the list of users and filtering the results; at this point, the metadata is updated.