In Riva 2.4.56 or higher, Intelligent Contact Creation — in its simplest form — functions like this:
- If intelligent contact creation is enabled, Riva's Recommendation Engine starts evaluating the relevance of any email address (in an email or calendar item) that cannot be matched to a contact in the CRM.
- If and when the unmatched email address reaches a relevance threshold, the Engine uses the email address to create a contact in the CRM.
- If the created contact is related to an account that is not found in the CRM, the account is also created.
How the Relevance Threshold Is Determined
In the sync policy, a sensitivity level — low, medium, or high — is configured. The higher the sensitivity, the more relevance an unmatched email address must have before being created as a contact in the CRM. The lower the sensitivity, the less relevance an email address requires before a contact is created in the CRM.
- The term "sensitivity" is used in the sense of a true positive rate. The higher the rate, the fewer false positives occur; in other words, the fewer undesirable unmatched email addresses are created as contacts in the CRM.
- If both types of contact creation are enabled, the intelligent contact creation of relevant unmatched email addresses overrides the automatic contact creation of all unmatched email addresses. Specifically, the following option on the sync policy's SmartConvert tab is overridden: "Must match or create at least one Contact or Lead".
How Intelligent Contact Creation Is Affected by Various SmartConvert Options
The contact, lead, and account creation options on the sync policy's SmartConvert page impact the creation of contacts, leads, or accounts by Intelligent Contact Creation. For example, here are a few SmartConvert check boxes and their impact, depending on whether they are selected or cleared:
- Assign to Account of matched Contacts check box:
- [Selected] (Default.): Impact on intelligent Contact Creation. If the Engine creates a contact and its account is matched in the CRM, the Engine relates the contact to the account. If the account is unmatched, the Engine creates the account and relates the contact to it.
- [Cleared]: If the created contact's account is matched in the CRM, the Engine does not relate it to the account. If the account is unmatched, the Engine does not create the account in the CRM. Instead, the Engine may do the following, depending on other configured options:
- Automatically synchronize emails based on conversation check box = [Selected]: (This setting enables Conversation Capture for Salesforce.) If there is no matching contact in Salesforce and the relevance threshold has not been exceeded yet, a conversation object is created and related to an opportunity, case, or contract. If the Assign to Account of matched Contacts check box is selected and the relevance threshold is exceeded, the Engine creates a contact and possibly a related account and also creates a relation between the conversation object and the account.
- If no Contact is matched, match against Leads check box = [Selected]: If there is a matching lead in the CRM, Intelligent Contact Creation has nothing to do with that lead. If there is no match, see the following setting.
- If recipient is not matched, create Lead instead of Contact check box:
- [Selected]: If the recipient meets the sensitivity requirements, the Engine creates a lead.
- [Cleared]: If the sensitivity requirements are met, the Engine creates a contact.
To Enable and Configure Intelligent Contact Creation
Start the Riva Manager application.
In the right pane, double-click a sync policy.
In the window that appears, near the bottom left, select the Recommendations tab.
In the right pane, select the Intelligent Contact Creation check box.
Use the slider to view information on the sensitivity levels, and then select a sensitivity level.
At the bottom of the window, select Save.
Possible results, depending on other configured options:
If an email address (in an email or calendar item) cannot be matched to a contact or lead in the CRM, Riva's Recommendation Engine starts evaluating its relevance.
If and when the unmatched email address reaches a relevance threshold, the Engine uses the email address to create a contact or lead in the CRM.
If the created contact is related to an account that is not found in the CRM, the account is also created, unless the sync has been configured to use collector accounts or to attempt to create orphan contacts.
The Policy Advanced Options window displays the Intelligent Contact Creation settings as two advanced options:
- Sync.Crm.SyncRecommendations.Enabled.Contact = true
- Sync.Crm.SyncRecommendations.ThresholdScore.Contact = 1, 3, or 5, where 1 = Low sensitivity, 3 = Medium sensitivity, and 5 = High sensitivity.