Riva 2.4.42 or higher supports the Salesforce Summer '16 Enhanced Email feature, which enables tracking an email as an Email Message object in Salesforce instead of a task activity.
By default, the sync still tracks an email as a task activity, but you can now configure the Salesforce connection to create an Email Message object instead.
For more information on the Salesforce feature, see https://releasenotes.docs.salesforce.com/en-us/summer16/release-notes/rn_sales_productivity_email_enhanced.htm.
What Happens When an Email is Tracked in Salesforce as an Enhanced Email
- Syncing the From field:
- In Riva 18.104.22.168925 or higher, the Riva sync relates an enhanced email to the CRM contact that corresponds to the sender.
- Until shortly before Riva 22.214.171.124925 was released, Salesforce did not support relating an enhanced email directly to the CRM contact that corresponded to the sender. A workaround was used from Riva 126.96.36.199908 until but excluding 188.8.131.52925. This was the workaround: The sync process added the sender to the To list, which created a relationship between the email and the contact or lead that corresponded to the sender. Starting in Riva 184.108.40.206925, the sender is no longer added to the To list when syncing the enhanced email.
- If no matching contact exists in Salesforce and no contact is created and related, the email is processed but may be difficult to find in Salesforce. Before enabling email synchronization with Salesforce, we recommend doing one of the following:
- configure the sync policy to create a contact if it does not already exist in Salesforce;
- configure the sync policy to skip the email record creation when no matching contact is found in Salesforce; or
- ensure that an email address found when parsing the To, Cc, and Bcc fields exists as a contact in CRM.
Note for Riva 2.4.42:
- At the time of release, only one contact or lead relationship can be set on the To, Cc, and Bcc fields. This mimics the previous behavior with the "Email as Task Activities" feature, which allowed only a single contact to be related.
Note for Riva 220.127.116.11908 or higher:
- Multiple contact and/or lead relationships can be set on the To, Cc, and Bcc fields. This extends the behavior available in 2.4.42.
Tracking an Email as an Email Message Object in Salesforce
To track an email as an Email Message object in Salesforce instead of a task activity:
In the Riva Manager application, on the menu bar, select Setup.
In the right pane, double-click the Salesforce connection to edit it.
On the Options page, select the check box Email: Sync email to Salesforce as enhanced email.
If the check box is cleared, Riva tracks an email in Salesforce as a task activity.
When syncing email to Salesforce as enhanced email, the attachments are always attached to the email record.
When prompted to update the metadata, select Yes.
At the bottom of the window, select Save.
From now on, when Riva syncs email messages, they will be created as email objects in Salesforce, not as task activities.