With Microsoft ending support for Internet Explorer on June 15th, 2022, to allow a transition period for our customers, Riva will make best efforts to support Internet Explorer until December 31, 2022.
Consequently, any issues related to Internet Explorer 11 that are reported on or after December 31, 2022, will not be resolved.
Riva recommends impacted customers upgrade their Insight Server and Insight Windows Addin Desktop Client versions as soon as possible, and before the end of the year.
Depending on the type of add-in you are using for Riva Insight, you may already be impacted, or will be soon. As Riva Insight is using services from Microsoft, Office 365, and Salesforce, if those companies or platforms are ending (or have ended) support for Internet Explorer, this will, as a consequence also end support for Internet Explorer with Riva Insight.
Some of the past notices include, but are not limited to:
- Microsoft Notice: Beginning August 17, 2021, Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) and users may have a degraded experience, or be unable to connect to, those apps and services. These apps and services will phase out over weeks and months to ensure a smooth end of support, with each app and service phasing out on independent schedules.
- Microsoft Notice: The Internet Explorer 11 desktop application will be retired and go out of support on June 15, 2022, for certain versions of Windows 10.
- Salesforce Notice: Microsoft Exchange admins will have to upgrade to Office, version 16.0.11629 or later and Windows 10 version 1903 or later (this includes Office 365 and 2019 one-time purchase (retail) by December 31, 2022.
How can I determine if I will be affected?
As Riva Insight runs as a side-panel within Outlook, you may not even be aware that the Embedded browser used by Outlook is using Internet Explorer.
You may be impacted if:
- You are using a version of the Riva Insight Windows Add-in version 2021.3 or lower
- You are using the Outlook Web Add-in and:
- you are using Windows with a version earlier than Windows 10 version 1903
- you are using Office 2016 (volume licence)
- you are using Office 2019 (retail) with a version earlier than 16.0.11629
- You have a Windows/Office combination from this table that shows IE as the browser:
You can verify whether your Outlook on Windows is using Internet Explorer or Edge Chromium by:
- From the Riva Insight side-panel, click on the settings icon
- On the "About" page/tab, look for "User Agent" under the "Client Info" section
- If you see the text "rv11.0", the embedded browser in Outlook is using Internet Explorer
|Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0; Microsoft Outlook 16.0.14228; Microsoft Outlook 16.0.14228)
- If you see "Edg/" , the embedded browser in Outlook is using Edge Chromium
|Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; Microsoft Outlook 220.127.116.1128) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/95.0.4638.17 Safari/537.36 Edg/95.0.1020.9
What do I need to have Outlook use Edge Chromium as the embedded browser instead of Internet Explorer?
- If you are using a version of the Riva Insight Windows Add-in version 2021.3 or lower:
- Update to Riva Insight Windows Add-in version 2021.4 - requirements
- Learn more about Edge Chromium (WebView2) Support for the Riva Insight Windows Add-In
- If you are using a version of the Riva Insight Windows Add-in version 2021.4 or lower and your system does not have WebView2.
- Refer to Edge Chromium (WebView2) Support for the Riva Insight Windows Add-In
- If you are using the Outlook Web Add-in:
- Upgrade your version of Windows to Windows 10 version 1903 or higher; and
- Upgrade your Office Version to:
- Microsoft Office 365 (16.0.11629 or higher); or
- Microsoft Office 2021 or higher.
If you still have questions or require further assistance, please reach out to our Client Success Team.