Problem: A customer reported that they experienced very slow import of user accounts using EMU.
Cause: After examining the create profile file, we discovered that each user was being added to an eDirectory group that contained in excess of 2000 members. EMU has to read the membership list for each group object into memory as it imports (creates) the user account. The larger the group membership list, the longer that process takes.
Resolution: After the large group objects were removed from the create profile (or the import CSV file), the creation time was greatly improved.
Steps to Add Users to Large Group(s)
- When importing new users, select the minimum number of groups with a relative small number of members (less than 100). After users are created, use "Manage Users" to add users to existing groups with large membership lists.
- Do not use standard eDirectory groups if the membership is expected to be large. We recommend using Dynamic Groups created using iManager.
After user accounts are created, you can add those users to group(s) using the following procedure:
- Select "Tools" > "Account Search Based on Data File"
- Under "Step 1" click "Select" and choose the correct import csv file.
- Under "Step 2" select the column header used for the login username in the "Identifier Field:" and select "User Name" from the "eDirectory comparison field" drop-down list.
- Click "Next".
- Select the eDirectory container to start the search for accounts and click "OK".
- Click "Continue". This will add a list of accounts in the "Report Information" panel. Select the desired users, right-click and choose "Select in NDS View".
- Right-click one of the highlighted users in the "NDS Information" panel and choose "Modify Account(s)".
- In the "Modify Users" window, select the "Groups" tab.
- Ensure that the "Add" button is bold. Select the desired group(s) to add the users to.
- Click "Modify". NOTE - this may take an extended period of time for EMU to complete adding the users to the selected groups.